Monday, February 15, 2010

Lento

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm in the habit of giving something up for Lent, and while I can't pretend that I always give things up with the purest of intentions (it's probably more a test of my self-will than a testament of my faith), I'm a big fan of conscientious efforts toward self-improvement via sacrifice.

However, since I'm currently in a committed relationship with gluten and caffeine-free living and also flirting with life sans dairy, yeast, and refined sugar, I feel as though further dietary restrictions might lead to starvation, or at the very least, intense boredom. And even though I have plenty of other bad habits that should probably be given up, at least for a little while (digital distractions, excessive decapitalization, trashy TV), I realize that I tend to lean maybe a little too much toward the self-deprivating side, and that giving up something else, even for 40 days, might not be the best choice (at least this year).

So. I'm breaking with tradition. (Probably not an acceptable thing to do with traditions that have religious undertones, but roll with me. Besides, people add good things into their life for Lent all the time - exercising, spiritual "me" time, etc. This is just a little more...secular.) Instead of deleting something from my life, I'm going to add an important ingredient that I've been sorely lacking: knowledge of generation-defining, pop culture-reference-making, movies.

I grew up on Disney movies, musicals from the '50s and '60s and the occasional current blockbuster. Still,  I didn't see Titanic until 1999, and I only saw Twister in the theaters because they filmed in my driveway and my aunt's cornfield. Somewhere along the way, I missed out on seeing these movies (as well as Star Wars, The Princess Bride, A Fish Called Wanda, and Jurassic Park - [I just saw these movies for the first time this year!]):

**Men in Black**Pretty Woman**Best in Show**

**The Sting**Ghostbusters**Pretty in Pink**

**Sixteen Candles**Wet Hot American Summer**

**Philadelphia Story**Big**The Godfather**

**Back to the Future(s)**Sister Act I**

**Breaking Away**Chariots of Fire**Moonstruck**

**The Shawshank Redemption**12 Angry Men**

**The Usual Suspects**Terminator(s) 1&2**

**Indiana Jones(es)**Batman Begins**Die Hard**

**Manhattan**In Bruges**Good Will Hunting**

**Ghost**Boys Don't Cry**Weekend at Bernie's**

**The Matrix**Dancing with Wolves**

**This is Spinal Tap**The Graduate**Field of Dreams**

**Almost Famous**Edward Scissorhands**Blues Brothers**

Now, obviously this is only a partial list (compiled with the help of Beth and Jeni), and our individual prejudices and preferences have to be taken into account, but I think this will be more than enough to get me started. There are 37 movies on this list - my goal is to have watched at least 20 of them by Easter. Because after my recital is over, what else am I going to have to do with my life?(!)

2 comments:

  1. given your list, here are some more i fear you may not have seen.

    empire records
    say anything
    joe versus the volcano
    reality bites
    grease
    romeo & juliet
    clueless
    gattaca
    when harry met sally
    groundhog day
    dirty dancing
    wayne's world
    a league of their own
    french kiss

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so inexperienced when it comes to movies! beth introduced me to when harry met sally this past summer, and i've seen grease, groundhog day and dirty dancing. patheticasad. thanks for the suggestions! i've heard good things about many of them, and the ones i haven't heard of have titles that intrigue me.(joe versus the volcano?)

    also, mighty ducks came up in conversation today, and i realized i haven't seen that OR the karate kid. i have so much catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete